North East businesses put muscle behind medical breakthroughs
Muscular Dystrophy UK has brought together a prestigious group of businessmen and women to make a difference and help change the lives of those affected by muscle-wasting conditions in the North East. In a brand new and exciting initiative – Breakthrough North East – we are looking to bring together professional business people, business owners, senior partners and CEOs to fund research in the region.
Breakthrough North East will support the groundbreaking research taking place in the region that will ultimately lead to effective treatments for muscle-wasting conditions. Members will have the opportunity to come to networking events twice a year at a venue in the North East, with prominent guest speakers.
We launched on Monday 24 November at the International Centre for Life in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The launch coincided with the renaming of the Neuromuscular Centre to The John Walton Muscular Dystrophy Research Centre in recognition of Lord Walton’s significant contribution to research into muscular dystrophy and related neuromuscular conditions over a period of almost 60 years.
In addition to being part of an exclusive group that can ultimately change the lives of people affected by muscle-wasting conditions, membership of Breakthrough North East:
- will enhance both your company and your personal profile, while meeting your company’s corporate social responsibility objectives
- will give you the opportunity to attend exclusive events
- enable you to give something back to the people of the North East.
Members will receive a certificate of membership and will be listed on our website, and will be given a charity pin badge to wear at our exclusive events.
Corporate membership: £3,000 pa (invite three guests free of charge to exclusive events)
Individual membership: £1,000 pa (invite one guest free of charge to exclusive events)
The difference Breakthrough North East will make
The charity currently has an annual spend in Newcastle of £190k. Your membership fees will contribute to:
- a national neuromuscular database
- a training bursary for a regional care advisor
- supporting the post of a Clinical Trials Co-ordinator based in Newcastle
- a Clinical Fellowship
- a research grant, over four years, into limb girdle muscular dystrophy
- a patient registry for facioscapulohumeral (FSH) muscular dystrophy
- a patient registry for myotonic dystrophy
- information stands for neuromuscular clinics in the region.
Breakthrough North East Members
Prof Kate Bushby- International Centre for Life
Angela Upex – ncjMedia
Dr Grainne Gorman – Wellcome Trust Centre
For further information, please contact: Sarah Clark, Senior Regional Development Manager – Regional Development (Northern region) on 07860 955578 or 01661 871596.