Muscular Dystrophy UK is the charity for the 70,000 people living with muscle-wasting conditions in the UK. We bring together people affected by more than 60 rare and very rare progressive muscle-weakening and wasting conditions.
In addition to funding world-class research to find effective treatments and cures, we provide practical information and advice for individuals and their families. We campaign to raise awareness and bring about change, award grants towards the cost of specialist equipment, such as powered wheelchairs and provide specialist education and development for health professionals.
We need dedicated volunteers to support the regional development team to deliver a high level of care to supporters in order to continue our vital work.
What will I be doing?
As a Fundraising Research and Mailings volunteer you will support local fundraising by undertaking research projects as required by your Regional Development Manager.
Specific tasks may include;
- Researching potential targets for fundraising campaigns (e.g. lists of schools, voluntary groups, sports clubs, leisure centres etc)
- Building databases of contacts and keeping them up-to-date
- Writing letters/invitations to inform contacts of events or charity
- Undertaking posting out mailings of letters to contacts – this includes, printing, stamping and posting
- Providing your Regional Development Manager with research reports within agreed timeframes
What skills and attributes do I need to have?
- An interest in volunteer led fundraising
- Strong research skills, particularly in using the internet to conduct research
- Enthusiasm for the cause and determination to make projects a success
- A creative approach to identifying potential sources of support including individuals, groups and businesses
- Time-management skills to enable you to produce detailed and accurate reports in an agreed timeframe
- The ability to work well with staff and other volunteers as part of a team but also on your own initiative
- Access to a computer and printer if not working in the London office
- Ability to respond proactively to new opportunities
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Good organizational skills with a keen eye for detail and an ability to maintain records
- A commitment to and an understanding of disability issues, equal opportunities and diversity
What benefits can I expect?
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a valuable contribution to Muscular Dystrophy UK and to supporting our vital work
- The enjoyment of meeting new people in your community and working as part of our skilled and friendly fundraising team
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills in fundraising, marketing and communication
- The chance to gain experience of working within a leading charity
- You will receive a full induction and further information about Muscular Dystrophy UK
- Training on Raisers Edge data base
- Your volunteer manager will work with you to identify your development goals through monthly 1:1’s and help you work to achieve these
- Travel and expenses reimbursed if volunteering for a full working day or more
Where will I be based?
The majority of our volunteers are based in our head office in London which gives volunteers a good insight into a working charity. However if you do not live in London we can organise for you to work from home with regular telephone calls from your regional contact. This would entail you have the use of your own computer and access to email. Reasonable travel expenses will be paid when incurred on charity business.
How much time do I need to commit?
We are looking for someone to commit to volunteering for a minimum of one day a week. However, there may be opportunities for you to give more/less time.
What support will I be given?
A dedicated member of staff will guide and support you in your work plus you will receive supporting materials, a full induction to the charity and specific training, where appropriate, to help you get the most from your role.