Why we need you?
Muscular Dystrophy UK is the charity for the 70,000 people living with muscle-wasting conditions in the UK. We bring together people affected by more than 60 rare and very rare progressive muscle-weakening and wasting conditions.
A key series in our events portfolio is the Town and Gown 10k. We organise these hugely popular running events in Cambridge, Oxford and soon Leicester, raising £150,000 for the charity each year.
We need dedicated volunteers to support our Events Team to deliver high level fundraising events in order to continue our vital work. This role is vital to the success of our Town and Gown 10k event.
What will I be doing?
As a home-based volunteer, you will be responsible for spreading the word about the Town and Gown 10k event in the lead up to the big day. You’ll be helping to make sure your whole community knows about the Town and Gown 10k.
Specific tasks may include;
- Helping to identity local promotional opportunities such as within shops, gyms etc.
- Placing flyers and posters in your local area and keeping a log
- Acting as an ambassador by promoting the event among your friends, family and colleagues
- Working closely with the events team to develop new creative marketing opportunities, using your knowledge of the local area
- Helping with the smooth running of the event on the day (if possible)
What skills and attributes do I need to have?
- A desire to learn more about event marketing within the charity sector
- Enthusiasm for the cause and determination to make events a success
- Strong research skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to work on your own initiative and think creatively
- Good organisational skills with a keen eye for detail and an ability to maintain records
- Access to a computer
What benefits can I expect?
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a valuable contribution to Muscular Dystrophy UK
- The enjoyment of meeting new people in your community and working as part of our skilled and friendly fundraising team
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills in fundraising, marketing and communication
- The chance to gain experience of working within a leading charity
- Travel and expenses reimbursed if volunteering for a full working day or more
Where will I be based?
You will be working from your home in Cambridge, Oxford or Leicester. This would entail you have the use of your own computer and access to email.
How much time do I need to commit?
We would value any amount of time you can give, whether it’s a couple of hours once a week or a day a month.
What support will I be given?
In return for your valuable help we aim to ensure that volunteering for us is a fulfilling and worthwhile experience. A dedicated member of staff will guide and support you in your work and will be on hand to talk on the phone. Plus you will receive supporting materials, a full induction to the charity and specific training, where appropriate, to help you get the most from your role.
How do I apply?
If you would like more information please email email@example.com or
call the fundraising hotline on 0300 012 0172.