We are pleased to announce that Muscular Dystrophy UK has been shortlisted as Campaigning Team of the Year as part of the 2017 Charity Times Awards.
The nomination comes for the hard work by individuals and families affected by muscle-wasting conditions improving NHS healthcare services. Over the last four years we have helped to secure over 60 NHS posts at a value of £4.5 million yearly investment.
This has been achieved by working closely with clinicians, commissioners, parliamentarians and people affected by muscle-wasting conditions to help shape and improve neuromuscular services.
Some of the highlights that the Charity Times Awards judging panel recognised us for include:
- Creating two eLearning modules (for physiotherapists and GPs) which have collectively been taken by nearly 1,800 professionals.
- Engaging with 46 MPs and Peers who have taken action on regional and national neuromuscular issues through letters, speaking in parliament and written parliamentary questions
- Hosting an APPG session on access to specialist care attended by 12 MPs as well as representatives from NHS England and NICE
- Producing and distributing over 10,000 emergency alert cards which give paramedics, and A&E staff the urgent, condition specific information needed to provide safe treatment
- Launching an emergency flagging system for ambulances in London which allows paramedics and 999 operators to access a personalised care plan for the most at risk neuromuscular patients.
All of this work has ensured that individuals and families living with muscle-wasting conditions receive better support within the NHS. Over the next few years we will be attempting to continue these improvements via the following workstreams:
- Creating new ELearning modules for paediatric physiotherapists and Allied Health Professionals including Nurses and Occupational Therapists
- Creating new alert cards for mitochondrial disease and myopathies
- Launching new recommendations of care for adults with Duchenne muscular dystrophy via the Adult North Star Network
- Rolling out our Ambulance Action scheme to other regions of the UK
- Improving Mental Health services via our Mental Health Matters project
- Continuing to hold regional events for health professionals and families.
Nic Bungay from Muscular Dystrophy UK said:
Muscular Dystrophy UK are really pleased to have been shortlisted as Campaigning Team of the Year by the Charity Times Awards. The nomination, which would not have been possible without the hard work of individuals and families living with muscle-wasting conditions, recognises the important campaigning achievements we have reached in the last year.
If you would like to support our campaigns work looking at improving NHS services please get in touch with Lloyd Tingley at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7803 4804.