Many disabled people are still unable to access adequate levels of service when planning and taking holidays in the UK and abroad.
Tourism is a major domestic and international industry involving diverse businesses such as hotels, bed and breakfasts, travel agents, tourist attractions, restaurants and transport providers. These organisations are legally obliged to make reasonable adjustments, providing solutions as long as they are not impractical and beyond their resources.
Our All Inclusive report reveals that many young disabled people are currently missing out on the opportunity to travel independently and holiday in the location and accommodation of their choice.
Our report revealed:
- Eight out of ten young disabled people believe holidays are more expensive as a direct result of disability.
- 85 percent of Trailblazers do not feel confident that they could spontaneously plan a trip away in the UK.
- More than half of young disabled people feel that the inaccessibility of aircraft has a major impact on their choice of holiday destination.
- One third of young disabled people feel that issues around the accessibility of bathrooms are the biggest challenges when staying in a hotel.
I have just been looking to go away for a week in the UK and am finding it extremely difficult to find somewhere that has accessible hotels and attractions. Travel agents are useless with information. Two big name travel agents could not tell me any accessible venues in the UK at all.
Trailblazers are calling on hoteliers, travel agents, airlines and owners of tourist attractions to:
- Ensure high-quality disability awareness training is provided to staff members.
- Put accessibility at the heart of the tourism industry and ensure that all members of staff are aware of the accessibility of the facilities they work with.
- Install ramps, lifts and banisters to ensure accessibility throughout buildings; increase the number of accessible rooms wherever possible.
- Ensure that accessible hotel rooms are spacious, well planned and, if en suite, have fully accessible bathrooms including walk in showers.
You can read the most recent report here. Trailblazers continues to campaign on improving access to tourism. If you are affected by these issues and would like to share your experiences or be a media ambassador, contact us here.