After three successful years, Pedal, Paddle, Peak is back in 2019 and entries are now open! Get three friends or colleagues together and take on this challenge to help us beat muscle-wasting conditions.
What is Pedal, Paddle, Peak?
- Pedal – Starting in Penrith, your team of four will take on a 30 mile cycle split into two stages of approximately 15 miles during the day. The route will take you on a scenic tour around Ullswater Lake, which is surrounded by The Lake District peaks. The course is a mixed bag, with some small hills and one large climb after you finish the paddle. Mountain bikes and helmets are provided.
- Paddle – Give your legs a rest as you take on a 2 mile canoe paddle on the stunning Ullswater Lake. Your team will compete in two connected canoe boats creating a stable raft and keeping the team together. Once finished your team will get back on your bikes for a steep pedal up to the base of the Mountain Peak Challenge.
- Peak – Leave your bikes behind and get ready to climb the second highest peak in England, the magnificent Helvellyn Mountain. The tough climb to the top will go via the ‘white side’ and ‘lower man’ and return the same route. Once complete it’s back on your bikes for the final 15 mile pedal to finish in Penrith.
- Finish – Celebrate your achievement with your team and others in our complimentary post event celebration meal. Weather permitting we will have barbecue or an indoor catered buffet. You”ll have access to showers and a cash bar to wind down and reflect on the brilliant day you will have had.
The event is a challenging fun team building event, where all team members complete all three challenges together. On average the event will take roughly eight to nine hours to complete and training for the event is advised. The longest element of the event is the mountain climb, which will take approximately four hours.
- Friday 5 July – Event briefing – The day before the event, you will arrive for an evening briefing (approx 6pm) at our event base Newton Rigg College, Penrith. Here you will be given a full overview of the day ahead, a chance to answer questions and also get your bike sized up.
- Saturday 6 July – After the event there will be a presentation ceremony and a celebratory dinner or barbecue with all other teams.
What is included?
- All equipment hire – Bikes, helmet, canoe and lifejackets. If you wish to use your own bike this will be subject to a safety check at the event briefing to ensure it is fit for the event.
- Lunch, power snacks and drinks throughout the day and then an evening buffet
- Transport of a luggage bag between stages to carry any change of clothes/footwear
- Qualified staff support along the route from our event delivery partners The Adventure Element
- First aid support (just in case!)
- A new trend setting finisher t-shirt and medal
- Showers at the finish venue
What’s not included?
- Accommodation – options will be provided for you to choose from upon registration. Penrith is a wonderful town with an array of hotels and B&B’s to suit all budgets. Our event base, Newton Rigg College, will also be available to stay at.
- Dinner on Friday is not included, there are many options available in Penrith and surrounding towns.
- Travel to the Lake District from your home location
2016 was the inaugural Pedal, Paddle, Peak with over £27,000 raised for Muscular Dystrophy UK. The event was generously sponsored by leading interdisciplinary property consultancy, McBains Cooper, who raised funds for the Ullrich CMD Appeal with Muscular Dystrophy UK family fund Team Jed . Here’s what they had to say…
“We entered five teams from McBains Cooper and the comradery before, during and after the event created a real buzz within our offices. The event is organised brilliantly with quality equipment, staffing and venues across the event. The BBQ at the end of the day was the icing on the cake, with a great medal and t-shirt to remember the whole experience for many years to come. The challenge itself is tough but do-able, perfect for a variety of abilities. My advice is to find three people and enter!”
Michael Thirkettle, McBains Cooper CEO and Captain of Team Jed.
If you have any questions or want to know more about the event please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 803 4820
We have created some fun images to help go along with any of your social media posts to your networks. Download and share on your social media by clicking on them below.