Pedal, Paddle, Peak in the stunning Lake District!
Rally together your friends and/or colleagues to put together a team of two OR four to Pedal, Paddle, Peak in the beautiful Lake District on 3 July 2021! This popular challenge event is back for 2021 and entries are now open! Apply today to take on this brilliant challenge and help beat muscle-wasting conditions.
What is Pedal, Paddle, Peak?
- Pedal – starting in Penrith, your team of two four will take on a 30-mile cycle which will be split into two stages of about 15 miles during the day. The route will take you on a scenic tour around Ullswater Lake, surrounded by The Lake District peaks. The course is a mixed bag, with some small hills and one large climb after you finish the paddle. We’ll provide your mountain bikes and helmets.
- Paddle – give your legs a rest as you take on a 2-mile canoe paddle on the stunning Ullswater Lake. Teams of four team will compete in two connected canoe boats creating a stable raft to keeping the team together. Teams of two will compete in a single canoe. *please note that if weather conditions prove to be difficult on the day, teams of two will need to pair up with another team of two to use two connected canoe boats to ensure you’re safe*. When you’re finished, you’ll all get back on your bikes for a steep pedal up to the base of the Mountain Peak Challenge.
- Peak – leave your bikes behind and get ready to climb the second highest peak in England, the magnificent Helvellyn Mountain. For the tough climb to the top you’ll go via the ‘white side’ and ‘lower man’ and return the same route. Once complete, it’s back on your bikes for the final 15-mile pedal to finish in Penrith.
- Finish – celebrate your achievement with your team and others and enjoy your complimentary post-event celebration meal. After a well-deserved shower, enjoy a barbecue or an indoor catered buffet, and then wind down and reflect on your brilliant day.
The event is a challenging and fun team-building event, where all team members complete all three challenges together. On average, the event takes eight to nine hours to complete and we strongly advise training for the event. The longest element of the event is the mountain climb, which will take about four hours.
Teams of two
- Registration fee: £97.50
- Minimum team sponsorship: £1,000
Teams of four
- Registration fee: £195
- Minimum team sponsorship: £2,000
- Friday 2 July – Event briefing – The day before the event, you will arrive for an evening briefing (approx 6pm) at our event base in Penrith. Here you will be given a full overview of the day ahead, a chance to answer questions and also get your bike sized up.
- Saturday 3 July – After the event there will be a presentation ceremony and a celebratory dinner or barbecue with all other teams. Friends / family are welcome to join.
What is included?
- All equipment hire – bikes, helmets, canoes and lifejackets. If you wish to use your own bike it will need to have a safety check at the event briefing to ensure it is fit for the event.
- Lunch, power snacks and drinks throughout the day and then an evening buffet / BBQ.
- Transport of a luggage bag between each of the stages to carry any change of clothes/footwear.
- Qualified staff support along the route from our event delivery partners The Adventure Element
- First aid support (just in case!).
- A new trend-setting finisher T-shirt and medal.
What’s not included?
- Accommodation – options will be provided for you to choose from upon registration. Penrith is a wonderful town with an array of hotels and B&Bs to suit all budgets.
- Dinner on Friday is not included; there are many options available in Penrith and surrounding towns.
- Travel to the Lake District from your home location.
Team Jed took on Pedal, Paddle Peak in 2016
2016 was the inaugural Pedal, Paddle, Peak with over £27,000 raised for Muscular Dystrophy UK. The event was generously sponsored by leading interdisciplinary property consultancy, McBains Cooper, who raised funds for the Ullrich CMD Appeal with Muscular Dystrophy UK family fund Team Jed. Here’s what they had to say…
“We entered five teams from McBains Cooper and the comradery before, during and after the event created a real buzz within our offices. The event is organised brilliantly with quality equipment, staffing and venues across the event. The BBQ at the end of the day was the icing on the cake, with a great medal and t-shirt to remember the whole experience for many years to come. The challenge itself is tough but do-able, perfect for a variety of abilities. My advice is to find three people and enter!”
Michael Thirkettle, McBains Cooper CEO and Captain of Team Jed.
Will Covid-19 affect my booking for this event?
We’re super excited for the return of Pedal, Paddle, Peak and to welcome our teams up to the beautiful Lake District in July. We are hopeful the event will go ahead, as planned, on Saturday 3 July 2021. We want to re-assure you that we are working closely with our event partner; The Adventure Element, (who’ve successfully held covid-secure events in 2020) on a range of different scenarios and measures to hold a safe and covid-secure event, in line with government restrictions at that time.
In the unfortunate event that it doesn’t happen in July as planned, we want to re-assure you that that we are working on a 2021 reserve date as a back up, and we will automatically move all team entries to this date. If you are unable to make that new date, or the new date also does not go ahead, your entry will be rolled over to the 2022 event.
For more information
If you have any questions or want to know more about the event please contact the MDUK Events Team via email or get in touch over the phone and call 07860 850 486.
Apply for this event
Applying for an event couldn't be easier. Just select the space(s) you would like to apply for and enter your contact details in the boxes below. Our team will review your entry and be in touch with more details if your application has been successful.
Applications are now closed for the 2021 event, but please email the team to register your interest for Pedal Paddle Peak 2022 next July.