Manoj and Sejal Thakrar’s son Shiv was diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy in 2014 when he was three years old. They have set up Smile with Shiv Fund to raise vital funds for Muscular Dystrophy UK’s Duchenne Research Breakthrough Fund. Shiv is like any other boy is age. He is a happy, fun, cheeky little boy who is always smiling.
However, coming to terms with Shiv’s condition has been extremely difficult for Manoj and Sejal and it continues to test them on a daily basis. Manoj Thakrar said:
After entering the world of Duchenne and speaking to Duchenne organisations, scientists and other families impacted by this condition, we know that there is hope as researchers are working really hard to find a treatment and potential cure.
Smile with Shiv Family Fund has been set up with the simple goals of:
- raising awareness of Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- raising as much money as possible for the Duchenne Research Breakthrough Fund
- working with the Duchenne community to ensure access to any potential treatments are available as early as possible.
We find ourselves in a race against time: we cannot sit back and wait, we need to act now.
Find out more about the Smile with Shiv Fund
- Read about their London 2 Brighton cycle ride organised by a relative working for Periscope.
- Read about their fundraising news in this Harrow Times article.
How you can help
- follow Smile with Shiv Family Fund online, via their website, Facebook and Twitter
- make an online donation
- make a regular gift
Setting up a family fund like Smile with Shiv is a great way to fundraise for Muscular Dystrophy UK to keep our vital research moving forward. Find out more about our family funds.