Events Team Volunteer Role
Why we need you?
Muscular Dystrophy UK is the charity for the 70,000 people living with muscle-wasting conditions in the UK. We bring together people affected by more than 60 rare and very rare progressive muscle-weakening and wasting conditions.
In addition to funding world-class research to find effective treatments and cures, we provide practical information and advice for individuals and their families. We campaign to raise awareness and bring about change, award grants towards the cost of specialist equipment, such as powered wheelchairs and provide specialist education and development for health professionals.
We need dedicated volunteers to support our events team to deliver high level fundraising events in order to continue our vital work.
What will I be doing?
As a volunteer in our events team you will support with a wide range of our events portfolio including special (gala dinners, quizzes) and challenge events (marathons, bike rides and 10k runs).
Specific tasks may include;
- Supporting the special events team on our annual events, the Microscope Ball and Celebrity Sports Quiz: coordinating raffle prizes, production of materials, liaising with companies and recruiting volunteers.
- Working closely with the challenge events team on our Town and Gown 10k running series, Virgin Money London Marathon and Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100.
- Providing support at key Muscular Dystrophy UK events, helping with the smooth running of the day.
- Corresponding (by phone, email and letter) with event participants and other Muscular Dystrophy UK supporters
- Assist in maintaining fast and accurate systems to respond to participants, donors and enquiries
- Research and develop marketing and fundraising opportunities
- To assist in event specific research projects
- Carrying out administrative tasks such as event enquiry emails and postage.
What skills and attributes do I need to have?
- Access to a computer and printer – if working remotely
- Excellent written communication
- A desire to learn more about event management within the charity sector
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook)
- An interest in volunteer led fundraising
- Enthusiasm for the cause and determination to make events a success
- Good organisational skills with a keen eye for detail and an ability to maintain records
- An interest in events
- Strong research skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to work well with staff and other volunteers as part of a team but also on your own initiative.
What benefits can I expect?
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a valuable contribution to Muscular Dystrophy UK and to supporting our vital work
- The enjoyment of meeting new people in your community and working as part of our skilled and friendly fundraising team
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills in fundraising, marketing and communication
- The chance to gain experience of working within a leading charity
- You will receive a full induction and further information about Muscular Dystrophy UK
- Your volunteer manager will work with you to identify your development goals through monthly 1:1’s and help you work to achieve these
- Travel and expenses reimbursed if volunteering for a full working day or more
Where will I be based?
The majority of our volunteers are based in our head office in London which gives volunteers a good insight into a working charity. However if you do not live in London we can organise for you to work from home with regular telephone calls from your regional contact. This would entail you have the use of your own computer and access to email.
How much time do I need to commit?
We are looking for someone to commit to volunteering for a minimum of one day a week. However, there may be opportunities for you to give more/less time.
What support will I be given?
A dedicated member of staff will guide and support you in your work plus you will receive supporting materials, a full induction to the charity and specific training, where appropriate, to help you get the most from your role.
How do I apply?
If you would like more information please email email@example.com or call the fundraising hotline on 0845 872 9058.