Muscular Dystrophy UK has come together with leading neuromuscular specialists to develop CPD-accredited e-learning modules on neuromuscular conditions, including new courses for occupational therapists and nurses.
Before taking these free e-learning modules we recommend that you first complete our online course providing an introduction to muscle-wasting conditions which you can also access here.
e-learning module for occupational therapists
The module covers a range of areas including:
- How to support patients with Activities of Daily Living
- Postural management
- Wheelchair needs
After completing this online e-learning module, you will be able to:
- Provide an explanation of what a safe and suitable assessment is for neuromuscular patients
- Understand the common issues which neuromuscular patients are likely to experience in trying to obtain a suitable wheelchair or home adaptations
Accessing the module
You can sign up and take the e-learning module for occupational therapists via this link.
e-learning module for nurses
The purpose of this module is to provide a guide for non-specialist nurses on how to manage neuromuscular inpatients safely and effectively.
The nursing module covers the following:
- Information on specialists involved in providing care for neuromuscular patients
- Respiratory and cardiology care needs of neuromuscular patients
- Specialist care for patients with genetic conditions
- Specialist care for patients with acquired conditions
After completing this online eLearning module, you will be able to:
- understand different types of muscle-wasting conditions
- identify which health professionals are involved in providing care to people with muscle-wasting conditions
- have an awareness of the specialist inpatient care required by people with muscle-wasting conditions
Accessing the module
You can sign up and take the e-learning module for nurses via this link.
GP and adult physiotherapy e-learning modules
In 2015, Muscular Dystrophy UK and the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) created the first ever online course for GPs on the presentation and management of neuromuscular conditions in primary care.
Also in 2015, we worked with the Faculty of Health, Social Care and Education, at Kingston University & St George’s University of London, and the MRC Centre for Neuromuscular Diseases, UCLH, to develop a new online e-learning module on neuromuscular conditions for physiotherapists working with adults.
You can access the GP e-learning module here.
The e-learning module for physiotherapists working with adults is available here.