Today is Limb girdle muscular dystrophy Awareness Day 2018 – a chance for us all to show our support for people affected by the condition.
Limb girdle muscular dystrophy causes muscles, particularly of the shoulders, hips and thighs, to weaken and waste over time, leading to increasing disability. It can be diagnosed at any age and varies widely between individuals, even within the same family. In some cases the muscles of the heart and breathing muscles are affected, leading the life-threatening complications.
To raise awareness, we are sharing a video of Martin Hywood describing the effect the condition has had on his life.
How you can get involved in LGMD Awareness Day 2018:
- Read about Hayley Lloyd and her son Tommy, and how they are supported by other people affected by LGMD
- Watch Martin Hywood’s video raising awareness into the condition
- Follow our Twitter account and #LgmdDay2018 or #LgmdAwarenessDay to join the conversation
- Contact our Research Line for the latest information
- FInd out how to obtain an alert card so you can inform healthcare professionals of key issues relating to your condition in an emergency
- Read our factsheet on the condition
Find out more:
Visit our Limb girdle muscular dystrophy page for up-to-date information and resources about the condition.