The neuromuscular service in Derby is for adults and children accross southern derbyshire, it is made up of a multi-disciplinary team that provides specialist ongoing management, non-invasive ventilation and therapy services for adults across Southern Derbyshire.
The centre also features a service for young adults who are aged 16-25.
How to access the service
The diagnostic service is provided by close links with colleagues in Nottingham. Access to the service is via GP, physiotherapist, occupational therapist or consultant referral with urgent referrals occurring within one week and routine new referrals taking six weeks.
Main contact number:
Dr Margaret Phillips
Dr Margaret Phillips is a rehabilitation medicine consultant. Dr Phillips has a special interest in myotonic dystrophy, adult Duchenne muscular dystrophy and respiratory management. Dr Margaret Phillips runs monthly adult muscle clinic with support from Dr Paul Maddison, adult lead muscle specialist at QMC in Nottingham.
Julie Cassell is the regional care advisor in Derby. Julie is a qualified physiotherapist, with many years experience in supporting people using wheelchairs and disability equipment. Alongside the clinics that she supports at Derby, she also facilitates the Trent Region Muscular Dystrophy Professionals Network. Get in touch with Julie by E: email@example.com or T: 01332 786760 .
Other key people in the team include:
- Dr George Mabeza , Respiratory Consultant
- Mr Rohan Rajan , Paediatric And Adult Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Mrs Alison Smith , Rehabilitation Specialist Nurse
- Mrs Michelle Magrath , Neurological Physiotherapist
- Mrs Louise Watkins , Neurological Occupational Therapist
- Rachel Ibbotson , Young Adults Physiotherapist
- James Wimbleton , Young Adults Transition Coordinator
- Neuromuscular clinic
- Young adults muscle clinic
- Joint respiratory and muscle clinic
- Paediatric neuromuscular clinic