The Leicester neuromuscular service supports both adults and children in the region.
The adult team is led by Dr Jayatunga. Although there is no diagnostic service there are monthly clinics for patients with a neuromuscular diagnosis.
The paediatric team deliver regular paediatric muscle clinics attended by a consultant paediatric neurologist, consultant community paediatrician, specialist care advisor, specialist physiotherapist and specialist occupational therapist. The service also provides access to respiratory, orthopaedic surgery and cardiology services as in-patient/out-patient. The transition service links to Leicester General Hospital.
How to access the service
Patients can be referred to the service via their GP or by a consultant.
Main contact number:
0300 303 1573
Dr Nahin Hussain
Dr Nahin Hussain is a Consultant Paediatric Neurologist who leads the neuromuscular service at Leicester Royal Infirmary. Dr Hussain has more than 15 years experience in paediatrics. His specialist areas include paediatric neurology, movement disorders, paediatric neuromuscular conditions, paediatric neurorehabilitation and paediatric neurodisability.
Other key people in the team include:
- Professor Mike Morgan , Consultant Respiratory Physician
- Dr Michael Steiner , Consultant Respiratory Physician
- Melanie McFeeters , Consultant Nurse For Children's Respiratory Diseases
- Jo Smith , Adult Respiratory Physio
- Ali Conway , Adult Respiratory Nurse
- Dr Peter Critchley , Consultant In Neurology And Rehabilitation Medicine
- Paediatric muscle clinics with multi disciplinary team
- Paediatric respiratory clinic
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Cardiology services
- Transition service that links to Leicester General Hospital
- Neuromuscular clinics