Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • #75390
    Resting

    Hello friends,

    Do you have a rest during the day – lying down on the bed or sofa, I mean. Sitting in my wheelchair all the time, I don’t get tired out from exertion but I do feel uncomfortable and achy. I sometimes lie on the sofa to take the pressure off my body but the thing is, I feel guilty and it bothers me that I’m “giving in”. I guess what I’m after is some reassurance from others that I’m not being lazy and that it’s OK to rest. I don’t know why I feel like this but I’ve always been a worrier and a bit hard on myself.

    Looking forward to hearing from you!

    Sybylla

    sybyllascarlett
    Participant
    Posts: 383
    Joined: 07/02/2012
    #94833
    Re: Resting

    I’ll say.

    Resting is now my middle name. It seemed from the moment I get up
    I want to goo back to bed to rest heaven and the comfort of CPAP.

    Gave set up seats everywhere, one in front of bathroom sink, one kitchen
    Sink and two in Hallways. Sofa is home!

    How is it possible to be so tired. Too tired to think up jokes
    about sleeping sickness!

    "Even if you are not paranoid, it does not mean they are not out to get you!".

    taungfox
    Participant
    Posts: 4,630
    Joined: 27/09/2010
    #94834
    Re: Resting

    @taungfox wrote:

    I’ll say.

    Resting is now my middle name. It seemed from the moment I get up
    I want to goo back to bed to rest heaven and the comfort of CPAP.

    Gave set up seats everywhere, one in front of bathroom sink, one kitchen
    Sink and two in Hallways. Sofa is home!

    How is it possible to be so tired. Too tired to think up jokes
    about sleeping sickness!

    Thank you, Mr. Fox. It’s good to hear your comments and know I am not alone.

    Sybylla

    sybyllascarlett
    Participant
    Posts: 383
    Joined: 07/02/2012
    #94835
    Re: Resting

    I get where you’re coming from! I have struggled with the concept of rest – I don’t find it easy to sleep in the day yet it is good for my body to be completely relaxed and take the weight off certain areas but I find it sooooo boring and used to see it as a waste of my day!! However, I have now reached an understanding between my body and my brain and make sure I pace myself and rest if and when I need to – I put some music on or TV. I still don’t do it as much as I should but much better than I used to be!!

    A learning experience is one of those things that say, “You know that thing you just did? Don’t do that.” - Douglas Adams

    sar78 sar78
    Moderator
    Posts: 2,246
    Joined: 05/03/2015
    #94836
    Re: Resting

    oh sybilla. don’t be so lazy :lol: .
    don’t worry about it. you can bet your boots that im zedding on the sofa between 1pm and 4pm.
    apart from it being a rest. it helps pass time on :neener:

    stefan

    littlestef
    Participant
    Posts: 526
    Joined: 04/10/2011
    #94837
    Re: Resting

    I am often in ‘repose’, lol. Usually sitting on the sofa, feet up, eyes glazing over as something inane blurts from the tv. Woe-be-tide anyone who interrupts my Sunday Morning Laze, they will incur wrath.

    I'm always the animal, my body's the cage

    I blog about nothingness www.amgroves.com

    AM
    Participant
    Posts: 4,751
    Joined: 05/03/2015
    #94838
    Re: Resting

    that’s exactly how I am Amy. ive even bought a sign for door that says “IF IT ISNT IMPORTANT, SOD OFF” :neener:

    stefan

    littlestef
    Participant
    Posts: 526
    Joined: 04/10/2011
    #94839
    Re: Resting

    Many thanks for all your helpful replies! I will think of you all when I am lounging on the sofa with my feet on a hot water bottle and a fleecy blanket over my knees! I will not feel guilty – I will tell myself it is beneficial and recommended!

    Sybylla

    sybyllascarlett
    Participant
    Posts: 383
    Joined: 07/02/2012
    #94840
    Re: Resting

    :Post:

    A learning experience is one of those things that say, “You know that thing you just did? Don’t do that.” - Douglas Adams

    sar78 sar78
    Moderator
    Posts: 2,246
    Joined: 05/03/2015
    #94841
    Re: Resting

    i have this problem.

    I am not in a wheelchair, but i get really tired and have difficulty sleeping.

    If I get up early, around 8-9 in the morning i will end up falling asleep during the day. If i dont go to sleep i will collapse.

    Whereas, if i wake up at around 11, i normally dont need a sleep until around 9 at night.

    I understand the guilty feeling, i get this because i do not want to go to sleep and allow my condition to worsen and get weaker.

    Mded89
    Participant
    Posts: 28
    Joined: 10/03/2014
    #94842
    Re: Resting

    ah bud, but sometimes if we don’t rest we do over exert ourselves. this in turn can worsen our condition.
    you also need to relax and rest the brain too. haven’t you heard of power napping. so don’t feel guilty

    stefan

    littlestef
    Participant
    Posts: 526
    Joined: 04/10/2011
    #94843
    Re: Resting

    I need to rest alot. I cant sit back without my vent so its physcally exhausting to keep myself sitting up all day. to I need to sit up, raise legs and fire up vent to relax.

    dont worry. I tell myself if I could do more or run marathons I would but failing that I an content to put feet up. particulary as Im going into winter hybernation

    """""""What doesn't kill you makes you stronger""""""

    Cat Cat
    Moderator
    Posts: 1,002
    Joined: 20/09/2010
    #94844
    Re: Resting

    oh don’t remind me about winter. roughly 6mth of staying in doors and dying of even more boredom :bang:

    stefan

    littlestef
    Participant
    Posts: 526
    Joined: 04/10/2011
    #94845
    Re: Resting

    Hello friends,

    An update on the resting issue. Last Thursday evening I felt discomfort in my back – probably from doing a movement I do every day – and since then it’s been horrible. Every afternoon since Friday I’ve had to go to bed and rest as lying down is the only way the pain goes away. It’s worked its way from the spine round the hip to the front

    and after a couple of hours sitting in my wheelchair I am really looking forward to lying down for the relief. I know it will ease off eventually but this is nature’s way of telling me to rest!

    Sybylla

    sybyllascarlett
    Participant
    Posts: 383
    Joined: 07/02/2012
    #94846
    Re: Resting

    I have a pretty severe lordosis n my lower spine, I am more > than ) in my spinal shape and I wear a lumber support. I wonder if something like that could give you some support and take the pressure off that area.

    So sorry you are being laid low with this.

    I'm always the animal, my body's the cage

    I blog about nothingness www.amgroves.com

    AM
    Participant
    Posts: 4,751
    Joined: 05/03/2015
    #94847
    Re: Resting

    @amgmod wrote:

    I have a pretty severe lordosis n my lower spine, I am more > than ) in my spinal shape and I wear a lumber support. I wonder if something like that could give you some support and take the pressure off that area.

    So sorry you are being laid low with this.

    Thanks, AnneMarie. I am probably a similar shape to you but I don’t think anyone else has suggested a lumber support. I have wondered if one would help. Could you post a picture of yours or a similar one so I can see what it looks like please? Is it comfortable to wear?

    Sybylla

    sybyllascarlett
    Participant
    Posts: 383
    Joined: 07/02/2012
    #94848
    Re: Resting

    I have found a sort of picture. Mine is made to measure by my orthotics people at the hospital. I do have to pay for them, because I get nowt for free :roll:

    Mine is from the hip bones to just under my bra, it has a velcro fastening down the front, and I can only put it on while laying in bed. When they are brand brand new I sometimes struggle with stretching the strong elastic. At the back there is a pocket where a metal square goes in that has been bent to my shape, there is also a cushioned pad to stop it from digging into my flesh.

    I would recommend getting your GP to refer you to Orthotics, a chat with them could not hurt.

    I'm always the animal, my body's the cage

    I blog about nothingness www.amgroves.com

    AM
    Participant
    Posts: 4,751
    Joined: 05/03/2015
    #94849
    Re: Resting

    Thank you – that is very helpful.

    Sybylla

    @amgmod wrote:

    I have found a sort of picture. Mine is made to measure by my orthotics people at the hospital. I do have to pay for them, because I get nowt for free :roll:

    Mine is from the hip bones to just under my bra, it has a velcro fastening down the front, and I can only put it on while laying in bed. When they are brand brand new I sometimes struggle with stretching the strong elastic. At the back there is a pocket where a metal square goes in that has been bent to my shape, there is also a cushioned pad to stop it from digging into my flesh.

    I would recommend getting your GP to refer you to Orthotics, a chat with them could not hurt.

    sybyllascarlett
    Participant
    Posts: 383
    Joined: 07/02/2012
    #94850
    Re: Resting

    The main issue that my condition throws at me is sleepiness and exhaustion. I spent years struggling with it and feeling guilty even to sit down in the evening.
    I’ve had to work hard on my mind set to see that, actually, if I don’t sleep or rest when I can I am doing everyone around me a disservice. When I go to bed for 2 hours I can be a lot happier and suffer less pain so I do it!! And now that I’ve started to I often can’t wait to go back to bed! It’s so liberating to hide away like that!

    pippa
    Participant
    Posts: 126
    Joined: 02/01/2012
    #94851
    Re: Resting

    @pippa wrote:

    When I go to bed for 2 hours I can be a lot happier and suffer less pain so I do it!! And now that I’ve started to I often can’t wait to go back to bed! It’s so liberating to hide away like that!

    And now that the weather is so grim and it gets dark so early, beddie is a lovely place to be!

    sybyllascarlett
    Participant
    Posts: 383
    Joined: 07/02/2012
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Keep in touch