The Government has published a new ‘Sector Deal’ with the life sciences sector, with the aim of bringing investment into the sector from across the world, and ensuring that the next wave of breakthrough treatments, innovative medical research and high skilled jobs are created in Britain.
Background to the ‘Sector Deal’
The ‘Sector Deal’ follows on from the Government’s Accelerated Access Review response in November 2017 and a life sciences strategy report in August 2017 with recommendations for the Government to develop several key areas in the sector including NHS collaboration and increasing infrastructure.
The report was undertaken in collaboration with charities, research and industry organisations and academia.
Muscular Dystrophy UK, which is a member of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC), submitted evidence earlier in 2017 on streamlining access to treatments and increased clinical trial capacity to the AMRC as part of engagement with the Government’s Life Sciences Industrial Strategy Board.
The ‘Sector Deal’ focuses on the following aspects, many of which overlap with calls to action in our Fast Track to treatments campaign.
Implementing the Accelerated Access Review
- Establishing an Accelerated Access Collaborative body to develop the Accelerate Access Pathway which would bring cost-effective breakthrough products to patients as quickly as possible
- Improving NHS England’s commercial capacity, through the development of a Commercial Unit
Enabling high-skilled immigration
- Facilitating easier processes to enable world-leading scientists to come to the UK
- Reducing red tape in hiring international researchers
Strengthening environment for UK clinical trials
- Attracting more clinical trials from the pharmaceutical industry
- Investing in research infrastructure through the National Institute for Health Research to enable access to expertise and facilities