With careful planning and the right level of support, you can make sure that your child’s time at school enhances their range of experiences and quality of life. Getting the right support with education leads to opportunities to enjoy a variety of activities and to develop friendships and skills for the future.

Get advice from our information and advocacy service

We offer advice and guidance to parents, professionals and young people. We can help you:

  • choose the right school for your child’s needs
  • get the right level of support for your child’s special educational needs (SEN)
  • introduce adaptations in the school
  • get support with moving into higher education.

There is a range of support available at school and university level to help children and young people fulfil long-term goals and aspirations. This includes getting access to further education or employment.

Contact our Advocacy Team for help with any of this.

As of 1 September 2014, changes have been made to how SEN is put into practice in educational institutions. These are set out in the Children and Families ActThis new system for special needs will replace the old Special Educational Needs (SEN) Statements and Learning Disability Assessments.

Education, Health and Care Plans

The new Education, Health and Care Plans (EHC Plans or EHCPs) aim for a better understanding of all aspects of a child or young person’s condition. This is so that children and young people in full-time education up to the age of 25 have a better quality of support.
EHCPs aim to improve upon the older Special Educational Needs (SEN) statementing system in several ways. 
To request an assessment for an EHCP, contact the SEN team at your local council.

Other types of support

Children with less complex needs who do not require an EHCP can also get support in school.
You will need to discuss this type of special educational needs support with the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator. It may include support such as:

  • creating a special learning programme for your child
  • giving extra help using a teacher or a learning support assistant
  • working with your child in a small group
  • supporting your child with physical or personal care difficulties, such as eating, getting around school safely, toileting or dressing.

Support in higher education

Disabled Student Allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is a kind of financial support. You can apply for this on top of a student loan in order to meet the extra costs of living and travelling to university with a disability. If you are eligible, you could get up to £10,362 a year to help you with your studies.
To apply for the DSA, download a DSA application form.