Car insurance Insurance

Car insurance provides financial protection if you have an accident in your car or your car is damaged or stolen.

You should advise the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of a disability which may affect your ability to drive. This includes muscle-wasting or weakening conditions.

DVLA Medical Enquiries
Tel: 0300 790 6808
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency – GOV.UK (

Car insurance for disabled drivers is the same as for other drivers. Providers cannot charge you more for having a disability but you may need additional cover if you have an adapted vehicle, as it can be more costly to replace. Some minor adaptations do not warrant price increases, so it is important to clarify what adaptations your car has had.

Your insurance may become invalidated if you fail to tell your insurers about your condition and about any special adaptations made to your vehicle.