This means it is not based on any other income you (the carer) may receive, nor will it affect your national insurance. While the benefit is taxable, you as the carer will only have to pay tax if you have other forms of taxable income.
Carer’s Allowance may, however, have an effect on other means-tested benefits that the person you are caring for is receiving.
For example, if the person you are caring for is receiving the severe disability premium of a means-tested benefit, then they will stop receiving these payments if you begin receiving Carer’s Allowance. In effect, the Carer’s Allowance will replace this payment.
You may be eligible to receive Carer’s Allowance if you look after an individual who is receiving one or more of the qualifying disability benefits
- Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
- Disability Living Allowance - middle or highest care rate
- Attendance Allowance
- Constant Attendance Allowance paid at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or at the basic rate with a War Disablement Pension
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Child Disability Payment - middle or highest care rate
- Adult Disability Payment - daily living component at the standard or enhanced rate
The following conditions also apply:
- You must be 16 or over
- You must look after that person for at least 35 hours a week
- You are not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more
- You have been in England, Scotland, or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you are a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
- You normally live in England, Scotland, or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
- You must not be earning above the eligibility threshold. As of June 2023, your earnings must be £139 or less a week after tax, National Insurance, and expenses.
For specifics, exceptions, and the latest information, you can visit GOV.UK - Carer's Allowance: Eligibility - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
There is separate information for those in Northern Ireland - Carer's Allowance | nidirect
Making a claim
You can apply for Carer's Allowance through the GOV.UK website if you live in England, Wales, and Scotland, or nidirect if you live in Northern Ireland.
Carer's UK: Carer's Allowance | Carers UK