The regional neuromuscular service at AHCH has expanded considerably over recent years. This expansion continues with monthly referrals averaging now 8.6. It is now one of the larger paediatric neuromuscular services in this country with a patient caseload of approximately 550.
As part of the service, the Regional Care Advisors in Liverpool provide support to adults who attend the Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust and to children who attend clinics at Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust.
How to access the service
Patients can be referred to the service by either a GP, consultant or physiotherapist.
Dr Stefan Spinty
Consultant Paediatric Neurologist
Dr Stefan Spinty is a Consultant Paediatric Neurologist based at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool. Dr Spinty is the lead Neuromuscular clinician and neuromuscular consultant. He is also the chair of Neuromuscular Network North West and dedicates about two thirds of his working time to neuromuscular work.
Regional Care Advisor
Shirley joined the care advisor team in March 2009. She previously managed services for disabled children and their families in both the Health and Education fields and more recently she managed the Disability Rights Commission/IPSEA Disability Discrimination in Schools Project covering England and Wales. Get in touch with Shirley by E: Shirley.firstname.lastname@example.org or T: 0151 252 5747.
Regional Care Advisor
Alison joined the neuromuscular team in March 2009 after spending more than 10 years working in a Children's Hospice, where she helped set up the very successful service they now offer.
Alison is a Registered Nurse for both children and adults. Get in touch with Alison by E: Alison.email@example.com or T: 0151 252 5451.
Other key people in the team include:
- Dr Rajesh Madhu, Neuromuscular Consultant
- Dr Laura Grey, Psychologist
- Emma Pringle, Dietician
- Julie Burke, Neuromuscular Care Coordinator
- Alison Shillington, Physiotherapist
- Sarah Gregson, Physiotherapist
- Denise Wooding, Occupational Therapist
- Jackie Robinson, Neurology Care Path Co-ordinator
- Alison Felton, SALT
- Laura Chessman, Physiotherapist
- Kathryn Cooke, Associate Neuromuscular Nurse Specialist
- Vicki Hargreaves, Roald Dahl Neuromuscular Nurse Specialist
- Alison Sutch, Care Advisor
Clinics are held at Alder Hey Children's Hospital
- Urgent muscle clinic
- Follow-up muscle clinic
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy steroid clinic
- New muscle clinic
- Dedicated multi-disciplinary arthrogryposis clinic
- Dedicated multi-disciplinary neuropathy clinic
- Spinal clinic
- Orthopaedic clinic
- Neuromuscular telephone clinic
- Neuromuscular clinic