We provide expert multi-disciplinary specialist opinions for adults with confirmed or suspected:
- Complex and undiagnosed muscle disorders
- Muscular dystrophies(e.g. Becker dystrophy, limb girdle muscular dystrophy etc.)
- Myotonic dystrophies and channelopathies
- Inflammatory muscle diseases (e.g. Inclusion Body Myositis)
- Metabolic myopathies(e.g. McArdle disease, Pompe disease)
- Spinal muscular atrophy (including the delivery of Nusinersen Managed Access Agreement)
- Mitochondrial disorders
- Patients with neuromuscular disorders transitioning from paediatric to adult care
The patient experience
Patients attending the muscle service will receive an expert muscle opinion.
In many cases neurophysiology (NCS/EMG) can be performed on the same day if required.
Further investigations will be arranged as necessary, and ongoing management of your condition will be discussed.
As well as having close links with local neuro-rehab centres, we also work actively with many charity organisations, including: MDUK, The Neuromuscular Centre in Winsford and Myositis UK.
We run an active research program in collaboration with our Clinical Research Facility and with the assistance of a clinical research fellow.
Many of our patients are enrolled in research studies, including trials of new treatments, studies looking at long term outcomes of patients with muscle disease, and genetic research.
In collaboration with our Rheumatology colleagues, we have participated in internationally recognised research into inflammatory muscle diseases (e.g. Inclusion Body Myositis, Immune Mediated Necrotising Myopathy).
In addition, we have one of the largest cohorts of patients with Pompe disease in the world, many of whom have participated in clinical trials of enzyme replacement and other therapies.
We also host regular educational meetings of the North West Adult and Paediatric Neuromuscular Network and participate in the British Myology Society meetings.
How to access the service
Referrals are taken from other specialists, especially those in general neurology and rheumatology, via the usual referral pathways.
In some instances, direct referral from the GP can be accepted.
Special funding arrangements may be required for those living outside of Greater Manchester.
Contact the Muscle Disease Unit secretary and coordinator Nichelle Hookway on 0161 206 2010 or by emailing email@example.com.
The Muscle Disease Unit includes a broad complement of experienced neurologists, specialist nurses, and other colleagues. Click on the ‘Team’ tab to find out more.
We also work closely with:
- Paediatricians at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital (Lead: Dr Imelda Hughes) and Oswestry (Lead: Prof. Tracey Willis)
- Respiratory medicine and the Long-Term Ventilation Service at University Hospital of South Manchester (Lead: Dr Andrew Bentley)
- Geneticists at Central Manchester Hospitals (Dr Catherine Breen, Dr Audrey Smith)
We have collaborative clinical and research links with other neuromuscular centres, both in the UK (particularly in Newcastle and London) and internationally.
We are active members of the North West Adult and Paediatric Neuromuscular Network.
We are increasingly delivering novel treatments to patients with muscle-wasting disease, including enzyme replacement and gene therapies.
Dr Mark Roberts
Dr Roberts qualified in 1989 with degrees in medicine and physiology. He has published widely on neuromuscular disease. His speciality registrar training was at the Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Liverpool, with electives in Kings College, London and Durban, South Africa. In 2000 he was appointed as consultant neurologist in Manchester.
Other key people in the team include:
- Dr James Lileker, Consultant Neurologist
- Dr Tamas Cseh, Consultant Neurologist
- Dr Ronan MacDonagh, Consultant Neurophysiologist
- Dr Ranjit Ramdass, Consultant Neurophysiologist
- Phil Kelly, Nurse Specialist and Care Advisor
- Prof Federico Roncaroli, Consultant Neuropathologist
- Prof Caroline Sewry, Consultant Neuropathologist
- Dr Daniel DuPlessis, Consultant Neuropathologist
- Dr Reena Sharma, Metabolic medicine
- Dr Ana Jovanovic, Metabolic medicine
- Dr Georgetta Fanea, Metabolic medicine
- Prof Hector Chinoy, Rheumatologist
Clinics are held at Salford Royal
- Neuromuscular clinic