We are incredibly proud of our Family Funds: they are ambassadors of the charity, made up of exciting supporters with real commitment, ambition and passion for fundraising and Muscular Dystrophy UK.
A Family Fund is a great way to fundraise for Muscular Dystrophy UK, as a family or group. If you have considered setting up your own charity to have control over what your money funds, a Family Fund is a fantastic alternative. We look after the administration, Charity Commission paperwork, accounts and agreed associated costs on your behalf so you can concentrate on fundraising.
If you’re interested in a particular condition or a specific area of our work, come and talk to us. We are keen to match our work to donor interest and we can direct your funds to planned projects and broader areas of activity (such as our Duchenne Breakthrough Research Fund or other condition-specific research). Your funds can be directed into the areas that most interest you – and you will have the final say.
Family Funds may not be the right path for every supporter and it is important to match what you need and want to achieve against the options we have for our fantastic supporters.
Before anyone sets up a Family Fund, our Regional Development Managers will meet with you to ensure that it is the right choice for you and to develop a great relationship. It is also important to remember there is no rush, we will work with you for as long as it takes to come to a decision either way, and hopefully beyond.
So, what are the benefits and commitments to consider?
- We will help promote your story on our website. You will have your very own webpage to share your story and raise your profile, backed by our social media activity.
- You can choose the name of your fund. You can name it after your friend or family member or your local area. And we will give you a dual branded logo, giving you fundraising credentials.
- You will have a dedicated Regional Development Manager. They will support your fundraising activities and update you on the impact you are making.
- We will provide you with a range of fundraising materials. They include sponsor forms, posters, balloons and collecting tins. And you will have access to an online portal where you can create your own bespoke materials.
- You will have special access to exciting events and new product trials such as our regular giving pilots.
- You will receive quarterly updates about our work, local fundraising events and have the opportunity to advertise your own events.
- We will flag up opportunities across the charity that may be suitable for you – for example Family Fund stories sometimes feature in our direct appeals.
- We are also looking at an exciting fun day and networking opportunity for Family Funds in 2019, hopefully set to give you the chance to meet and chat to other Funds to share ideas and opportunities.
- You will encourage the support of your own networks – friends, family, work colleagues and the local community – encouraging them to support you with your Family Fund events.
- You are committed to being a Family Fund and to Muscular Dystrophy UK. We aim to work with our Family Funds on a long term basis, however we know that situations can change and of course work with families when that does happen, but we also look for sustainability and commitment where possible.
- You are willing to be the local face of both your Family Fund and Muscular Dystrophy UK in your community. Our Family Funds often appear in both local and national press and on our social media. Whilst not essential, some of our more successful Family Funds are really vocal on behalf of themselves and the charity.
- You want to fundraise. Family Funds are among the most driven and passionate fundraisers, because they have a real desire to progress research quickly. That is what we want, too. The more money raised, the more impact we can have and Family Funds are at the forefront of that. With existing Family Funds raising anywhere between £4,000 and £20,000 plus each year there is a home here for most levels of fundraising.
If after discussions with your Regional Development Manager you decide this isn’t for you, don’t worry. There is a home for every supporter at Muscular Dystrophy UK and even if this isn’t the path you take, we are here to help you find the right path for you.
If you think you would like to set up a Family Fund, use the form below to get in touch. We’re here to help you decide if this is for you – and, if it is, to help you get started.
- Just diagnosed or waiting for a diagnosis? – a wealth of information and support
- Information about muscle-wasting conditions
- Our Support hub – for support and resources, especially near you
- Get what you’re entitled to – we can help
- Progress in research – find out more about what your money could help fund.