Skip to content

Daniel Edwards from Llanelli was born in March 2009. In May of that year, his parents discovered he had the condition, Duchenne muscular dystrophy. About 100 boys are born in the UK each year with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, a life-shortening muscle-wasting condition that causes muscles to weaken and waste over time, leading to increasing disability.

Daniels mum Mandy said, As you can imagine, the news was devastating. Being new parents, the news hit my husband David and our families very hard. However, we have much to be thankful for. We take one day at a time, keep a positive outlook and we will do our very best to support Daniel in whatever lies ahead.

Thankfully we have the best family, friends and support network that we could ask for and there are many families out there in a similar situation to us. We hope as a community to tackle this head on and make positive progress into finding a treatment

Net proceeds from Defenders for Dan will be split with 80% of the funds will go towards research, and the remaining 20% held in trust for Dan’s future care needs, which will become extensive as he grows older.

Join the Muscular Dystrophy UK community

Share your experience and find advice from others with similar conditions.