Skip to content

Emma and Matthew’s son Jack was diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy in October 2014, just before his third birthday. They set up a Family Fund, Fighting Back for Jack, to raise awareness and funds for Muscular Dystrophy UK’s Duchenne Research Breakthrough Fund.

Receiving this devastating news at such an early age in Jack’s life, we couldn’t sit back and do nothing, so Fighting Back for Jack was set up to help raise money and awareness for the Duchenne Research Breakthrough Fund,

Jack is like any other cheeky, smiling, fun loving boy, who loves playing, running, kicking his football and watching Star Wars. He doesn’t understand his condition, but just continues what he loves doing and doesn’t let any obstacles get in his way.

Jack has daily physiotherapy and wears night splints to bed. As a family, we’ve received great support from Muscular Dystrophy UK, putting us in touch with other families going through the same difficult time we are.

The family have raised over £100,000 through fundraising events since setting up the family fund. They have completed fun runs, colour runs, the Great Manchester Swim, hosted Charity Golf Days and a celebrity football match.

Fighting Back For Jack has received so much support in such a short period of time. We look forward to all the other fundraising events occurring over the next few years to help raise money and a cure for all boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.

Net proceeds from Fighting Back for Jack will be split with 80% of the funds will go towards research, and the remaining 20% held in trust for Jack’s future care needs, which will become extensive as he grows older.

You can follow Fighting Back For Jack on Facebook and Twitter

Join the Muscular Dystrophy UK community

Share your experience and find advice from others with similar conditions.