We are focused on results. Everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life of people living with muscle-wasting conditions. We won’t stop until effective treatments and cures are found for all muscle-wasting conditions.
With your help we have already achieved so much:
- We have invested more than £55 million in research using a robust international peer review process. We have laid the foundations for the first potential treatments for Duchenne muscular dystrophy and Becker muscular dystrophy.
- Last year, we invested more than £1.6m in research, as well as £180k directly to support clinical trial infrastructure.
- We funded research that led to a scientific breakthrough in the development of an IVF technique. It has the potential to prevent mitochondrial myopathy being passed from mother to child.
- Between 2009 and 2016, we achieved an increase in the number of NHS care advisors and specialist nurses from 13 to more than 50.
- Membership of Trailblazers, our network of young disabled people, has grown to 700. Trailblazers campaign on issues that are important to them, and fight for access to higher education, leisure activities, transport and more.
- Bringing families together to campaign with us, we have secured over £4 million of investment in specialist healthcare and statutory services across the UK.
- Between 2012 and 2016 we helped around 550 families overturn unfair decisions about the services, care and equipment they were entitled to, and secured almost £2.4m worth of care and support services.
- Over 27,000 people used our specialist helpline and free information service last year.
- Over the last 30 years we have awarded close to 7,000 grants towards specialist equipment for individuals and families.
We know we can beat muscle-wasting conditions more quickly by working together. Please join us.